lørdag den 10. oktober 2015

Pang! Bootleg PCB repair

Pang! Bootleg pcb repair
This is the last pcb that diddent work, from the lot of 3 i traded with the N64 controllers with Morten Sales, but before we start, let me show you my new "maker space"
I have used 3 small storage cabinets from IKEA and some shelfs, to raise things like my solder station, my power supply ect to get some more space on the tabel, and more storage room i always nice 😊

But let gets on with the rapair.
Here is the pcb, an poorly made one, with a small daughter board.

When turning it on in my super gun, i got this picture 
(Its hard to see, but its is a lot of smal red spots, no sound and no change)

So i looks like the board WANTS, to start, but something is holding it back.
I started to poke around with my Logic Probe, and after a while i found this.


The ground leg on one of the RAM chips were floating, and the same with 2 other TTL's, so i looks like a trace was burned or cut, so i found a working ground spot, and borrowed the ground from that to the RAM


And there were a small change, the screen now said RAM ERROR


So i tried to reset the pcb (turn of power, and back on again)
And hey presto, life again
But not all was good , still had some errors, looks like the background had some issiues..

So i inspected the pcb some more, and it was a very poorly made one, TTL's that were sat in crooked, epromm's solderd directly to the pcb, broken legs there were solderd back on ect, 
Also found a couple of burned traces 


I fixed all the burned traces, and found a broken VCC  leg on one of the eprom's, it was broken close to the Eprom, so i missed at first

Fixed that too, and the pcb were good as new


Im still learning, an tho this were a short write up, i took me 2 nights in the garage, to find these faults, so dont think i am an repair wizz,  like my Master and mentor , Elgen , but i get a little better every time, and that whats counts 😉
Thanks for Reading
Best regards
Anders

Check out my facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/RetroKonsol

And my Masters repair blog: http://elgensrepairs.blogspot.dk












Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar